Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Review of Questions

1. Considering that public opinion is generally against gay marriage, why should a right to marriage be extended to homosexuals?

A: Equal Protection, human rights outweigh public opinion, tyranny of the majority
R: Religious response, social backlash, polls

2. Why are you pushing for marriage rather than civil unions?

A: Inclusion in cultural norm, federal rights are preserved by marriage and civil unions don’t provide the same rights
R: If civil unions were extended to everyone, under the federal gov’t, marriage rights could be extended to homosexuals and under the law they would be provided the same rights as everyone else

3. What is the importance of the federal government extending legally recognized marriages to gay individuals when the public associates it with religious practices?


A: Religious views irrelevant—separation of church and state
R: Religious response (Church in DC), social implications/backlash

2 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in what you guys think about the question I proposed in the emial. I think it's a really strong question that will catch them off guard and has faults if they answer either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think the first question is fine but the latter two have premises that I don't agree with and could very well undermine our case. The second one in particular. I hope I'm not to forward but I suggest substituting my question with the second one and coming up with another question to replace the third, one that will make them confront the consequences to gay marriage. One that will put them in the defensive.

    ReplyDelete